Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Life is only as good as the people in it

Life is only as good as the people in it. 

Throwin’ down some real ish now.  I just got back from a business trip to South Korea.  South Korea holds a special place in my heart, because I spent a year and a half there at perhaps the most crucial point in my life.  I was debating whether to join the National Guard or study abroad and teach English.  As destiny had it, I received a scholarship to Korea and the rest is history.  During my time, I never could have imagined the world that opened up to me.  I met some of the best people from all over the world and I am still friends with them today. 

Present time.  Needless to say, I was excited to go back.  I had an educational fair in Busan (the 2nd largest city in South Korea) and a 2-day fair in Seoul.  I was able to go to my university, Keimyung University in Daegu as well.  Although the trip was great and I was in a country that I loved, I couldn’t help but feeling lonely.  I felt empty the entire trip.  I walked the same streets that I walked hundreds of times and ate at the same restaurants, but it wasn’t the same.  While in Daegu, I felt like I had a memory on nearly every block in Jungagno and Banwaldong, but this time was different.  All I had were memories.  When I took a step back, I realized that there really isn’t anything particularly cool in Korea, but my friends and the people that I met made Korea what it is and was for me.  This is an ultimate shout out to THE PEOPLE.  At this moment, I came to the realization that, “Life is only as good as the people in it!”  I know that probably sounds cliché, but I don’t care – it’s true.  I have had the pleasure of meeting and knowing the best people in the world and although I might not have been as grateful for you guys back then, I sure am now. 

I kind of felt like Marius from “Les Miserables”, minus the Kermit the Frog vibrato, when he sings “Empty Chairs and Empty Tables”.  Not nearly as sad or depressing, nobody I know has passed away or been killed, but I experienced a sliver of his pain ha ha.  I don’t know why I am laughing. 
In a nutshell, this isn’t meant to be some life changing post, but it was a great realization to appreciate the people in your life.  

I look back at perhaps the best summer of my life.  I was 23 and I moved home for the summer with my 2 younger brothers.  I had a small Chevy s10 that had like 200,000 miles on it and no money.  My brothers, Sam and Jon were poorer than I was and we drove around Logan like we owned the place.  We didn’t do anything particularly awesome, but our Winger and cinefour nights were pretty bad-a.  I had a blast being with them, not because we were in an awesome place or did tons of awesome things.  I was with the best people and we had a heck of a time.

I am sure we can all reflect times in our lives that were amazing and realize, aside from the people, they weren’t or wouldn’t be as great.  So, appreciate your loved ones.  Something I learned last summer that I kind of forgot lately was that people are the most important part of life.  Without people, we are nothing and we have nothing.  I truly believe that if we love, appreciate and take care of the people in our lives now, that it doesn’t really matter what happens after this life.  That is the most important thing we can do. 


Life is only as good as the people in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment