Tuesday, January 27, 2015

The Donut Tour

For lunch today, the dream team (me, Lauralee, Shelby, and Fota) decided to go find out which place in Logan has the best donuts.  Each place we went to, we asked which donut was the most popular.  Here is what we found:

Lee's Marketplace.  Lee's is a hometown grocery store, expensive, but clean and I like shopping there.  The best part of Lee's is the lunch special.  You can get 2 chicken items, 2 amazing sides, a roll and a drink - $6.  It is the ultimate deal in Logan.  I especially like the mashed potatoes and gravy - the best I have ever had.  Since I recently got braces, I have taken advantage of their creamy goodness.  Back to the donuts . . . the baker lady said that the plain old-fashioned glazed was the best seller, but we decided to go with a chocolate covered cinnamon roll (seen below).  Since there were 4 of us and we didn't want to overload on donuts, we decided to get 2 donuts at each place and split them. My father has diabetes and it is not something that I want ha ha ha ha ha, but serious.  





Shaffer House Bakery.  This place is awesome.  Right when we walked in, we could smell the fresh goodness.  I was sold.  They had delicious looking turnovers and pastries - I wanted to bag the donut search and just settle down with a nice flaky turnover.  On to donuts . . . we found out the Bavarian cream bar was the most popular, so we got one of them . . .and 2 delicious looking Reese's cake donuts.  Definitely excited to pound down those little homies.







Dunkin' Donuts.  Brand new to Logan.  Today was the grand opening, actually.  It's like it was destiny for us to do our donut tour today.  I have only had Dunkin' Donuts in Korea and I wasn't a fan, so I was skeptical.  There weren't too many people for the grand opening, but there were enough to notice something was going on.  The owner gave us a donut hole while we were in line. I think he called it a "Munchkin" and it was delectable.  They said the most popular was the blueberry cake, so we got 2.  Also, they were giving out free hot chocolate and coffee.  I guess they are doing it for the next 3 days, ahh yeah.  I had salted caramel hot chocolate and it was money in the bank.  8 ball corner pocket.  





Johnny O's Spudnuts.  I think this place is a few months old.  I hear there are 7 potatoes in each donut.  That's not true.  This place has the coolest interior and decorations.  There are lounges to chill and you would think that a young hipster started this business, but there were 2 old grandma's running the joint.  They were nice, but when we said we only wanted 2 donuts, they seemed disappointed.  They tried to sell us 6 or 8 ha ha.  Geez grandma, I ain't gettin' any younger.  We bought 2 fluffy maple bars.   





Game Time!  Look at this healthy lunch. 



And the winner is . . .
They all sucked and I am never eating another f'n donut again.  ha ha.  Just kidding.  I think we all agreed that the Bavarian cream bar from Shaffer House Bakery was the best, but we only had a small piece and it was just right.  If I had to eat an entire bar, it would make me sick.  But, a small taste was delicious!  We were also torn between the blueberry cake donut from Dunkin' and the maple bar from Johnny O's.  

Valuable Lesson Learned:
Don't eat donuts for lunch.  We immediately felt gross and felt sick and definitely not productive at work ha ha.  I can't feel my toes now and I'm experiencing frequent urination, headaches, blurred vision, and fatigue . . . 
The real lesson is one of friendship and unity.  The 3 co-workers that I journeyed with were my friends going into the donut tour, but now they are my brothers.  




No comments:

Post a Comment