Sunday, January 11, 2015

The World is Good

I hate the news.  I think it is negative and gives a false portrayal of how life is.  The news rarely talks about the good in the world.  Last year, I had the opportunity to go to China.  I had a struggle getting my VISA and it was much more difficult than I expected.  I was told by others and various posts online that it was because I am from the United States.  When I flew into Beijing, I was a little nervous to be honest.  I have met Chinese people before and they have been great, but the media had given me a false belief that China didn’t really like the USA.  I was told in a letter that accompanied my VISA that because I had a few months left on my passport, that there is a possibility that I wouldn’t be allowed to enter China.  This letter along with my preconceived notions about China not liking the USA only made me more uncomfortable.  As I approached the counter at the airport in Beijing with my VISA and passport, I was pretty nervous.  I handed the officer my papers and said, “Nee How Ma?”  (How are you in Mandarin). He looked at me sternly, didn’t say anything, and examined my paperwork for what seemed like 5 minutes.  I was certain there was a problem.  Then, in an instant, he stamped my passport and VISA aggressively and motioned me to go forward.  I gave a sigh of relief, I was in China and they accepted my VISA.  I was still reluctant.
 Later that day, I found myself at the Forbidden City.  I was the only white guy in a sea of Chinese people and felt like everyone was looking at me and to be honest, I felt like I was an intruder and like I wasn’t welcomed.  I made no effort to talk with anyone, because I felt like I wasn’t welcomed.  It was one of the most uncomfortable feelings I have ever experienced.  The next day, I went to the Summer Palace and although it was beautiful, my feelings remained the same.  I remember thinking on the bus back to my hotel, “Well, what everyone told me and everything I have read is true.  The Chinese people in China really do hate Americans.” I sat in my seat, staring out at the window thinking. We were stopped at a red light.  Another bus pulled up next to mine and it was packed with Chinese people.  I caught a Chinese woman staring at me from the other bus and I looked down immediately.  I glanced up quick to see if she was still looking at me and she was.  I am normally a friendly guy and if I was in the US, I would have totally waved, but I thought to myself, “No, you are in China, they don’t really say hi and besides, they don’t like Americans.”  Then I thought . . . “Screw it!”
I looked up and she was still looking at me with what looked like a sad, tired, serious look.  I looked back at her, smiled, waved my hand, and mouthed, “Hello!” and awkwardly bowed my head.  I will never forget her reaction and it was one of the best experiences I had in China and one of the best lessons of my life.  She immediately changed here entire countenance like she woke up from a sleep.  Her eyes got big, she smiled, waved back and whispered, “Hello!” and awkwardly bowed back.  She was smiling so bright and I was too.  The light turned green and her buss accelerated faster than mine we smiled at each other until we could no longer see each other.  I had about an hour bus ride before I arrived at the hotel and just remember sitting in my seat and being so happy.  I thought, “That was amazing!  I think they (the Chinese people) like us!  The news is full of crap.  Maybe they think we don’t like them and we think they don’t like us.”  That moment, I changed how I thought about China (and other nationalities for that matter) and I was saying hi to everyone.  The change I felt about China couldn’t have been more opposite.  I remained in China for 4 more days and it was amazing!  The people were incredible and I love that country!



When I got home, I really felt like I had become a better person.  This small experience has helped me to appreciate others more, especially those people from other countries. I think the media creates false stereotypes and it isn’t fair.  I believe people are inherently good. I also believe that if we treat people like they suck, they will suck (or at least we will perceive them that way).  The world is full of great, amazing people . . . maybe all it needs is for people to believe it.


No comments:

Post a Comment